It was time. It was actually way past time to start the potty training. Well, finish the potty training that is. She's had the Dora undies, she uses the potty all the time, we just needed to make it legit. But guess what? Diapers.are.convenient. I know it. She knows it. So I was dragging my feet.
Then one day at daycare we were chatting about using the potty, which she does quite often and the daycare girl says: oh well if you want to bring a ton of underwear and pants, we can start training. Um, come again? And why am I just hearing about this now? To confirm I heard right, I say: so...you're just gonna potty train her...here? (With dumbfounded look on my face and finger pointing around the place.) Yeah she says, it usually takes a few days, but you have to follow up at home. Um, oh-freaking-kay! You've got yourself a deal.
Emmie had a backpack full of undies as she headed out the door the next day. (Yeah, we call them undies/underwear, the P word sends shivers down my spine.)
Fast forward to the weekend with just a few accidents at school, we're well on our way.
But running errands with a potty training kid, not awesome. And not even potty training I assume, any toddler that can't hold it for forever is going to be annoying to travel with.
Two bathroom stops just at Costco.
And what do you do with a toddler in a public bathroom? At least the Costco one was a one roomer, not having to deal with stalls on the first outing was probably a good thing. But their little butts...and their desire to touch everything and do you teach a two year old to line the seat with toilet paper? I mean, she's totally too short to hover. And what do they hold on to so they don't fall in? The toilet itself? Omigod, just kill me now...douse me in hand sanitizer first obviously.
I assume there is a learning curve for child and parent alike, but if you have some insight, feel free to share.
I think this might be my favorite post. I have a vision of Emmie hovering on a step stool in a public stall. :)
ReplyDeleteI would give my left arm for my child to sit on a public toilet, even if it meant grody germs! She's been potty trained for months, but every time we meet a public restroom, it's "No potty, too scary." all 17 times we attempt. Ugh! There's nothing like holding your child down on the toilet because it's been hours since she last went, only to pray everyone else in the bathroom doesn't think you are torturing her because of her screams... They do make toilet seat covers that stick on if that kind of thing freaks you out :) Also, put a post-it over the sensor so she doesn't develop a fear of being swallowed by the automatic flush. The damage has been done here already!
ReplyDelete