Our power was out for two hours last night. The whole neighborhood was pitch black. The house was silent. No TV, no DVR, no internet, no lights, no heat. We hung out by candlelight, navigated by flashlight and waited for the power to come back on. I won’t go into detail on how we entertained ourselves; it isn’t that kind of blog.
It’s crazy how dependent we are on those everyday things. I get home from work, immediately turn on the TV, just to have some background noise. I turn on my favorite light. Yes, I have a favorite light. It’s the one above the sink. I don’t know why, but it has to be on when I’m home. I sit down at the computer and check my Facebook, blogs and bank account. I use lights in every room, the microwave and the landline. I try to be a tree hugger, energy efficient when possible, but really all of these things are pretty basic.
Andy asked if he thought we could survive without power. I would love to say yes, we could handle that; we would spend hours reading and talking about our feelings - mid sentence Andy was already surfing the internet on his phone. Oh technology, what would we do without you?
At 10:30 the power came back to us and thankfully I didn’t have to think about what I would do the next morning without power. No ironing for Andy. No blowdryer, no straightener, just candlelight for make-up application. I think we’re all thankful the power came back!
Our power went out when it was storming a couple of weeks ago. Lets just say I fell asleep...around 6:30 PM because of boredom. Mike tried reading by candlelight which is pretty lame and hurts the eyes. Not fun! We are spoiled.
ReplyDelete