TWENTY SEVEN.
Twenty seven times the little Miss popped her little Miss head out of her room before she finally fell asleep.
I'll start from the beginning.
Em has always been a good sleeper. Through the night at three months. Cried it out in a couple nights. She even surprised us with a smooth transition from crib to bed. And then a few weeks ago...the jack in the box thing started. First to go potty, then she needed water...the toddler usual. And then it turned into just getting up...over and over and over.
And one night, we maxed out at 27. I remembered vaguely reading through the section of Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child and I know I remembered watching a million episodes of Nanny 911 and it all seemed the same. Put the kid back to bed. Over and over and over.
And so we did.
But we said goodnight or tucked her in every time. FAIL!
The next day I reread Healthy Sleep and we told Emmie the bedtime rules were changing. Once you were in, you weren't getting out. And if you did get out, no lovin' there would be. We even had Nana and Great Grandma confirm those were the rules at their houses too. And so, that night...we said good night. We said I love you. And we walked out.
Minutes later she followed. This time there was no exchange, no good night, no tucking in from Mom or Dad. Just right back to bed.
She popped out less than ten times. Better!
Last night it was once.
And tonight.....SHE STAYED IN BED! Hallefreakinlujah! She stayed in bed!
I sat in the TV room and silently waited and silently cheered and silently knocked on wood when Andy asked if she had been up.
Is it weird to have such a sense of accomplishment? Or is it relief? I don't know...either way, I like it and I hope it continues!
No comments:
Post a Comment