3.18.2012

Where to start?

Well, let's start with karma's a real bitch. A girl writes one little post about her husband in a snow bank and now he's in the ICU. Daaamn.

I'll start at the beginning.

Andy had an MRI last week that showed a bulging L5 disc. The week following the snow bank story was full of Andy icing his back and visiting the chiropractor. He was getting weaker and weaker, finding it difficult to walk and get from seated to standing. He was hoping to get a cortisone shot. Andy had a chiropractic appointment Friday morning, but had to cancel in fear he couldn't get back up the stairs when he got home. This made me panic and especially before the weekend, I wanted him to get this cortisone shot asap.  So we visited the doctor that set up his first MRI.

The doc was very concerned at Andy's weakness and feared an emergency surgery to remove a disc would be needed. We were told to rush to the ER where another doctor would be waiting.

Andy had an MRI on his lower back, it came back perfect. The doctor thought perhaps the pain was coming from a disc higher up and did another MRI and CT scan. Hours later, Andy was admitted to the hospital because they still couldn't pinpoint an explanation. The doctor did however confirm that Andy did NOT have a brain tumor. Shit. I didn't even think to be worried about that. And then confirmed it was not MS. Omigod I couldn't even believe we were hearing these words.

Saturday, the neurologist came to visit and completed an evaluation. He had an inkling of what might be wrong, but a spinal tap would need to confirm his thoughts.

Confirm it did.

Andy has been diagnosed with Guillain Barre Syndrome. Basically, instead of attacking a virus, Andy's body is attacking itself, specifically the nervous system. The treatment is pretty cut and dry for now. Andy is receiving intravenous immune globulin infusions daily. As a precaution he is in the ICU. He will get this infusion for five days and then we'll go from there I guess.

Andy received the IVIG yesterday and has responded well thus far. He is pretty tired, just from lack of good sleep at the hospital. He is weak and that is part of the condition. If he had to be in the hospital at any time, March Madness and Sioux hockey weekend were probably the best timing.

So yeah, that's the story so far. Holy bizarre crazy shit is all I have to say.

There are so many unknowns right now and it sucks big time. I'm sad. I'm scared. And then I feel selfish for thinking about me and I cry again. And then I look at Emmie and I start crying again. It's a vicious cycle. But of course Andy is just so laid back about it all.

Alicia and Matt have adopted Tucker for the time being and Grandma and Grandpa are taking Emmie whenever needed. Everyone has offered so much support and help and we thank you...and we'll probably be taking you up on your offers, just please don't judge the dirty kitchen floor.

And that's that. And now we'll take it one day at a time. And I'll obviously keep you posted on the latest.

Checking his brackets and doing a little work.

Visiting dad! There were lots of buttons to get my hands on.

4 comments:

  1. Please, please don't hesitate to call us anytime if/when you need help with Emmie, Tucker, you, food...anything! Thinking of you guys often and sending many prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We'll be praying for a quick recovery for Andy, and for strength for all of you!! Thoughts and prayers from the Sedores.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry your family is going through this! Thinking of you guys and hoping Andy gets out of the ICU soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am glad you all got some much needed answers and now hope Andy's home soon. I am sending you the biggest virtual hug ever friend.

    ReplyDelete