3.21.2012

some people enjoy the hospital



Namely, the Little Miss. I took Emmie to visit dad this afternoon and she was quite enthralled with his balloons. It really doesn't take much to entertain her...and she always entertains us as a result.

Recap of the day:

In his new dark and quiet room Andy was able to sleep a bit better. But this morning he was sick again. The neurologist confirmed that this is a side effect of the IVIG. He is also pretty dehydrated. It's tough to drink water when you feel kinda vomies. So Andy requested IV fluids to help the situation.

Other than that Andy did some physical therapy today and tried to rest.

Of course the second I left, the doctor from Physical Medicine came. Andy and the doc discussed the next step. So, we have a tentative plan and I like me a plan!  Once Andy is discharged he will move over to Sanford's rehabilitation unit on South University. Tonight is his last dose of IVIG and the doc will decide tomorrow or Friday when he gets to leave.  For now, we're looking at at least another week in the rehab facility. Andy will have three hours of therapy each day, physical and occupational. Either this type of rehab is called Acute Therapy or the place is called that or something else...from the doc to Andy to my ears to this blog...we lose some details.

I thought I should maybe describe some of Andy's weakness. I know it's hard to hear that he is weak and really understand what that means. Once or twice a day Andy gets out of bed, with assistance, to walk around the room. He uses a walker and the physical therapist is close behind. Once he's back in bed, he is very tired. The physical therapy that I have seen so far consists of leg lifts off the bed, about seven inches. He moves his legs from side to side and does the same with his feet, up and down. And that is enough to tire Andy out at this point.  Andy is feeling stronger in his arms and more confident when he is standing.

To say it's hard to see your husband going through this is the understatement of the year. This is my manly man husband who is active and loves being physical. So to wonder when we will simply be able to take a walk together is just plain heartbreaking. I know, it could be so much worse. I totally get that. And so I remind myself that we are lucky enough to be using the word when, not if.

There will be recovery, there is no question about it, and for that I am thankful.

As always, we appreciate the texts, emails and calls to check in - we may not respond right away, but we will!

No comments:

Post a Comment