Have you ever started a project thinking that it would be easy as pie. That you'd whip through it and probably a couple other things during an episode of the Bachelor? And then, the crafting gods laugh at you. And a week later you finally finish.
That was this little ditty. (I'll talk about my master bath paint color redo later. Goodbye yellow, hello dreamy blue.)
Pre cut MDF letters from Hobby Lobby. A mere $2.49 each. And yes, they were full price. How do I know this? Because I was specifically told so when I checked out. Does your Hobby Lobby do this? Tell you as you're buying something..."oh, these are full price, just so you know." Is that really the best business strategy? To tell your customer, in not so many words, that if you just come back next week, they'll be half off?! Anyways. I find it really annoying. Because actually yes, I do know that if I just waited a week they would be half off, but I don't have patience for that.
Where was I?
Wood letters. And spray paint.
And this is where the project started to go awry.
The spray paint did not stick. Or else got sucked in. Or just sucked, I don't know which. But about four coats into it, with hardly a thin coat even showing, I gave up.
Then I moved on to regular crafty paint. And that sucked just as bad. Perhaps a combo of spray paint and regular paint? It went on thick and showed every brush stroke. It seriously looked like something Emmie did. Gawd. I just wanted to slap some paint on some freaking letters and move on with my day.
I quit for a couple days and then went back, sand paper in hand. I figured I had to smooth it all out and start over. After sanding the crap out of the B (literally and figuratively) it was starting to look okay. Though I didn't start out wanting a distressed look, the distressed look found me and I went with it.
I then remembered I needed to hang these suckers. Nana happened to have some picture hanging teeth things and she gave me the four I requested (along with beef tips and mashed potatoes). And then I got home...and realized H would need two teeth things. GODDAMNIT! Project. Just die already!!
I ended up gluing pop tabs on the H and freaking finally hung the letters. And don't you worry, this project ended with a bang...me banging the hammer as quiet as possible...and still waking my napping toddler. Of freaking course that's how it would end.
Hi, Cousin Heidi sent me to your blog because she was cracking up at your mdf post. It is absolute shyt (mdf, not your blog). I make custom signs for not a living and a business I used to sell at had me do their store front sign which I was all like yay, my work on a storefront! Til I worked with their huge-a$$ piece of mdf and nearly lost it. Needless to say, the piece has been on their store front for 6 months and looks like the day I made it (has withstood the elements), so at least you have that going for you in your bathroom!
ReplyDelete