3.02.2013

in the middle of the night

Our boy is still not sleeping through the night.

I know, pretty normal for an almost four month old I'm guessing. That damn first child tricked us with her baby witchery and we assumed the second would come out potty trained too. We were duped. So now, I'm in charge of the midnight feeding and Andy is the early AM shift. I'm way better with random middle of the night and he's better at getting up early for the day...how'd that work out?

Last night, Ethan went to bed at his usual 7pm but this time woke at 3am. Eight hours of sleep, not bad my little friend. And not at all bad considering we were just at the doctor getting diagnosed with his first ear infection. Ugh. Poor little bugger.

But with eight hours of sleep under his belt, he thought it was time to play. And I was totally okay with it.

You see, I rarely get alone time with this little man. There is always a toddler creeping in on our time together. So to have him all to myself was a treat, even if it was at 3am.

With the house silent and dark, we laid on the floor of his room just chatting. He kicked and cooed and laughed. And even with the light at its dimmest, his little brown eyes sparkled. We then wandered around the house until he fell asleep in my arms. And I snuggled him tight and took my time, making sure to take it all in. Just me and my boy.

I think back to Ethan's first couple months and I feel like we got off to a rough start. But that colic-esque, fussy baby...he is long gone. This new, slightly older baby, full of smiles and charm has taken his place. And I couldn't love him more if I tried.

No comments:

Post a Comment