1.02.2013

If you can't say something nice...

(And I post with hesitation because we all know what a blessing this baby boy is and I don't want anyone to think that I take him for granted.)

It seems like I never blog about Ethan...and well, read the title.

No that's not true.

He's a wonderful boy. So handsome and sweet.

But most of the time...he's...umm...how do I say...he's...how should I put this...challenging. 

Don't get me wrong, he is so much better than weeks ago. There are no more hours on end of screaming at the top of his lungs, but there are still wig out sessions.  He sleeps well at night, but getting him there is a process. And his day times are hit or miss unless you're holding him for hours on end. I also never thought we'd be those people that packed up their kid in the car seat and went for a drive just to get them to sleep.

Did I mention he is now a formula baby? I think it has helped. Breastfeeding was going so-so, as I blogged before, but more often than not feeding consisted of wriggling and fussing and back arching and lots of milk in the face moments. He also had a lot of tummy trouble and though I had already cut out dairy, I just didn't have it in me to figure out every other food I needed to eliminate. I'm okay with the decision mainly because he seems better and I can drink caffeine without hesitation.

So, we're here. And I'm not giving up (we slept in this morning and nothing gets me back in the game like sleep). We're going to move forward and not look back. For his sake, for my sake. I think I needed to get it off my chest and write about it just to feel a bit better about the situation. To hear that it's not just me with a second baby fusser, to feel a little less guilty about not being able to get it right right off the bat, and to know that it will get better! Thank you in advance for your support.

(And I was able to write this post while I put Ethan in his swing drowsy and I didn't jump at every cry and he put himself to sleep.)

2 comments:

  1. Kelsey - I don't know if you've been reading my blog since I had Everett, but I know EXACTLY what you are going through. I didn't really write a "nice" post about him until he was 11 weeks old, finally getting out of the newborn stage, and properly medicated. I completely understand. There were times in the first month that I thought to myself "This BABY is keeping me from enjoying time with my first born, ugh."

    Have you and your Pedi thought about reflux also? Probably, but just thought I'd throw it out there because Everett had a lot of those symptoms and greatly improved once we started Prilosec (and kept increasing it).

    Thinking of you, hang in there and I know this doesn't really help but it DOES get better!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Kels..babies are so weird. Just when you think you have the hang of it- they change things up. Just remember this is only temporary. You really need to give yourself more credit!

    Both of my kids were like Ethan...always wanted to be held, had to be rocked to sleep, overall just very needy. I think they were about 6 months before they got over it. Maybe solid foods helped a bit? Anyway, it does get better!

    Good luck friend! If all else fails...DRINK!



    ReplyDelete