As I was staring one night I was also perusing Instagram. And there, the loveliest of all inspirations: a big, oversized chalkboard right in the middle of someone's kitchen. And I had to copy it!
I ran to Home Depot the following day and gathered my chalkboard making goods.
At first I thought I would paint the wall with chalkboard paint. Then I remembered how textured my walls are. Then I thought I could patch in the texture and paint over that. And then I remembered I might not want a chalkboard in my kitchen for the rest of my life and I figured I better just hang something there.
Also, in an attempt to keep things simple and keep my sanity, I am trying to use what is actually available to me for craft projects etc. My tendency is to kind of like one thing, but really really like the thing that is a) non existent or b) way too complicated. So when I saw the premade two by four foot blackboard sections at Home Depot, I decided this was my chance to test the theory. Because, of course, I really wanted something about three feet wide, but for ease, I bought what was there. I just might be growing up! Or getting lazy, whichever. I also bought a few boards to frame the chalkboard and I was ready to go.
I found some leftover paint in the basement to paint the trim pieces. I sanded and measured and Andy cut.
And then, he went to work.
And there I was, for one whole day...no kids, no husband, not even a dog! Just me, a large coffee and a nail gun. I can't believe he left me there! Unsupervised!
![]() |
| Now I just needed to get that all from the counter to the wall. |
![]() |
| Yeah, that's a nail gun and an air compressor. Are you impressed? |
![]() |
| It's working! |
![]() |
| Finished! (One would think I would have the decency to close my pantry door in the big reveal photo? Nope.) |
![]() |
Oh, and the Miss loves it!
![]() |
| Emmie approved. |
Before and after:








No comments:
Post a Comment