2.24.2010

Mama Vicki

If you know me, you know have this mom named Vicki. Vic called me yesterday and without giving a reason why, she asked me to come over after work. Now, I get this phone call from time to time and I never know what I’ll be getting when I get there…

Mama Vicki is the kind of mom that would pretty much do anything for her kids.

Mama Vicki is the kind of mom that if you say in passing you like or dislike something she will make sure you see that item again or never see that item again. Like Andy, he mentioned he liked my mom’s brownies and now there is a fresh batch of brownies whenever we go to their house. Or Kristy, isn’t so much a fan of red meat, so along with the main dish, there is a little piece of salmon just for her.

Mama Vicki is the kind of mom that carries dog treats in her pockets when she visits, even though she’s a little allergic to her grandpuppies.

Mama Vicki is the kind of mom that all through college would send me cards, but write on a sticky note inside the card so that I could reuse it for someone else. (And there was always a filled out Subway Card tucked inside, even better.)

Mama Vicki is the kind of mom that even though I’m almost 29 years old, bought me my favorite candies from a bulk candy store the last time she was in Vegas.

So when I told mom that Andy and I were hot for oranges but didn’t have an orange peeler – you know that stick with the curve at the end that was always just in your silverware drawer when you grew up? Ours was orange, Andy’s was yellow – Mama Vicki just gave us hers.

Unfortunately, we somehow lost that thing within 3 days. Damnit. I searched high and low and we must have just tossed it out with the orange peels one night. I then searched the Fargo/Moorhead area for another one and don’t waste your time people, they don’t exist.

…So I arrived at Mom’s this evening, wondering what she might have for me. A new orange peeler! (2 actually) Tupperware, who knew?! And a classy purple!

And Mom said, if I lose this one, she has 8 more because she had to buy them in bulk. Now that’s a mama.

4 comments:

  1. Pampered Chef also sells them. I will never eat an orange without one. And what a great mom! I love it! :)

    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  2. number one. PURPLE. YES!
    number two. can I PAAAAAAAAAHHHHLEEASE meet Vicki soon????
    number three. those things STILL don't work for me. yeah, i suck at life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that is great. This made me realize that my mom is alot like yours. It is great to have someone in your life like that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't forget about sending donuts through the drive thru!! :)

    ReplyDelete