10.31.2013

The highs and lows of Halloween week

The costume, the sugar rush, the trick-or-treating, the sitting through gymnastics class crying. It was an ups and downs kind of week.

This week marked the move from parent/tot gymnastics class to the big kid class. Moms and dads sit in the hallway and wait until class is over. It was like the first day of school all over again. Were we in the right place? Are we here at the right time? Where do we go? Do I sit here?

Class started and she sat down on her little carpet square and I patiently waited in the hallway, the only thing occupying my time: the tv screen showing the class. They do introductions and line up by the wall. Then I see them all walk down to the other area and minutes later I see Emmie balled up in a coach's lap baaaawling. They bring her back to me and she is wailing. "I want to go home! I want my other class!" It was awful.

And so we sat in the corner of the room and watched the other kids bouncing and running and tumbling. We sat there for 35 minutes until she mustered up the courage to join in, there might have been some bribing, quite possibly a 'we're going home' threat too. The parents that were watching let out a collective sigh as she joined the group and we all cheered her on. So for the last 5 minutes, she tumbled and bounced and every five seconds made sure that I was watching.

Next week I'm hoping the memories of the fun outweigh the fear!

And moving on to Halloween. The girl was in her glory. Dressed as Doc McStuffins, with her side kick Lamby, she greeted trick-or-treaters and handed out candy.

 
And then it was her turn. We caught up with Emmie's favorite neighbor, Shea and walked the neighborhood. The girls ran yelling trick-or-treat before they got to the door and then ran back, hopped in their wagons and cuddled under blankets (can we rally for a mid summer Halloween in the Midwest?). And yes, Emmie did open the door at one house and pretty much just walk in. Happy Halloween!

2 comments:

  1. So cute! Happy Halloween Fellow's!

    Elsie

    ReplyDelete
  2. *Fellows! Dang auto correct!

    Elsie

    ReplyDelete